When you think of tomatoes you may think of juicy, juicy, tomatoes or hot, juicy, hot sauce. But not these tomatoes. These tomatoes are crispy, crunchy, and fun.
If you’ve been following this blog for a while, you know I have a weakness for natural foods, especially veggies. I also have a weakness for air fryers. Keto fried green tomatoes are a great snack to satisfy both needs. They’re crispy and tasty while providing a great source of vitamin c, so I thought they were worthy of a blog post. I’m so excited to share this recipe with you!
I recently made a batch of these Baked Keto Crispy Fried Green Tomatoes, and I just have to share with you how easy they are to make! The best part is they are a healthier snack that keeps you satisfied and actually are a good source of protein!
Fried green tomatoes are a Southern favorite… However, I’ve gone keto!
There’s nothing like a fresh batch of fried green tomatoes for a light lunch or a low-carb snack in the afternoon. I really like dipping my in our homemade keto ranch dressing – I can’t get enough of it!
Unfortunately, until recently, fried green tomatoes were not on the keto menu. We’ve ketofied a classic, making them oh-so-low-carb while maintaining the crisp, fresh flavor you know and love!
It’s not as far south as you would imagine!
Fried green tomatoes are often seen in southern diners and restaurants, and are frequently prepared using firm, unripe green tomatoes. You may be shocked to learn that they originated in the northeast and central United States. According to Smithsonian Magazine, Robert F. Moss, a culinary historian and journalist from South Carolina,
“Fried green tomatoes first appeared on the American culinary scene in the Northeast and Midwest, perhaps as a result of Jewish immigration, and then made its way into the menus of the early-to-mid twentieth-century home economics school of cookery teachers.”
Who’d have guessed?
The following are some helpful hints for creating the finest keto fried green tomatoes recipe:
- Use only the most firm green tomatoes. When fried in the air fryer, they hold up better throughout the cooking process and have a very crispy texture. I tried this dish using red tomatoes, and although they were delicious, they became mushy after a while, so green tomatoes it is!
- You may smash your own pork rinds or buy a container of pork rind crumbs if you want to save time. I typically get a container from Costco or get Pork King Pork Rind Crumbs from Amazon.
- Apply avocado oil spray liberally to the tomatoes. For the finest “fried” results, spray the tomato slices well with oil before placing them in the air fryer basket.
- After the initial portion of cooking, I do not suggest turning the tomato slices. Because the keto breading mixture is fragile, I recommend gently moving them around and re-oiling them.
- Do you want to make cleaning up a little easier? In my air fryer, I love using these Katbite heavy-duty perforated parchment paper squares. The price of 120 sheets of parchment squares starts at little under $7. *Note: Only use these squares while food is on top of them throughout the cooking process. Do not use them while your air fryer is heating up (if your model requires preheating).
- Use fried green tomatoes as the bread for a keto-friendly sandwich! Simply assemble your keto-friendly meat, vegetables, and condiments as you would a regular sandwich and enjoy! I’m thinking they might also work well as a burger bread.
Fried Green Tomatoes on the Keto Diet
PRODUCTIVE YIELDS: 5 SERVINGS
5 MINUTES TO PREPARE
8-MINUTE COOK TIME
TIME TOTAL: 13 MINUTES
Keto-fied version of a traditional southern dish! These low-carb fried green tomatoes are very simple to prepare in your air fryer, and the pork rind crumbs provide a satisfying crunch.
Cut clean tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices (about 5 slices per tomato) and place them between two layers of paper towels to dry. After drying, lightly season with a couple of shakes of salt & pepper.
In a shallow dish large enough to hold the tomato slices, whisk together the eggs. Combine the almond flour, parmesan cheese, pork rinds, oregano, parsley, garlic, salt, and paprika in a separate bigger mixing bowl.
Dredge the tomato slices in the beaten egg, then gently coat both sides in the “breading” mixture, being careful not to push them down. Place them on a dish after shaking off any excess.
Using avocado oil spray, coat the air fryer basket and both sides of the tomatoes. Fill the basket with approximately four tomato slices, ensuring sure none of them contact.
At 400 degrees, air fried the tomatoes for 8 minutes. Cook for another 4 minutes after moving the slices around and spraying them with avocado oil.
Serve with a keto dipping sauce of your choice.
Serving Size: 2 slices, Yield: 10 pieces calorie count per serving: 163 Calories | 10.6 grams of fat | 7.2 grams of total carbohydrates | 1.6 grams of fiber | 3.4 grams of sugar | 0 grams of sugar alcohol | 11.6 grams of protein | 5.4 grams of net carbohydrates
Presented to you by.
You can’t possibly consume just one!
This fried green tomato dish will become your new favorite keto snack, since our taste testers couldn’t get enough of it!
Jenna, one of my Hip sidekicks, put this recipe to the test, and here’s what she had to say:
“Let me begin by stating that they are incredible! My whole family enjoyed these (particularly me), and even two children who had never eaten fried green tomatoes ate them! The taste is just like the tomatoes I used to eat as a child. This will undoubtedly be included to our regular air fryer menu.”
Next, make delicious keto fried pickles with your air fryer!
When you’re in a hurry to prepare your dinner at home, you often find yourself winging it. This is a recipe that you can make in a hurry, with no recipe required.. Read more about air fried green tomatoes without breading and let us know what you think.
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- keto fried green tomatoes
- keto fried green tomatoes air fryer
- low carb air fried green tomatoes
- low carb baked green tomatoes
- are green tomatoes keto